Built in 1893 after leveling a hilltop, this cricket pitch is 2444 meters above sea level. Built by Maharaja of Patiala Bhupinder Singh, who developed Chail as his summer capital, the ground was used to play friendly matches by him. It was later transferred to the military school.
Chail is a hill station, 49 km from Shimla in Himachal Pradesh. In 1891, Maharaja Bhupinder Singh of Patiala incurred the rage of Lord Kitchener. It led to the restriction of his entry into the summer capital, Shimla. This incensed the Maharaja and he vowed to build a new summer capital for himself. So he rebuilt the place (Chail) as per his requirements. The Chail Palace is well known for its architecture. The Chail cricket ground, surrounded by thick forests of deodar, was built by him. Chail is also considered as the hiker’s paradise. The area is away from the bustling life of the state capital Shimla.
After accession to the Indian Union, Maharaja of Patiala donated most of his buildings to Chail Military School and Government of India. The cricket ground is used as the school playground by Chail Military School. During school vacations it is also used as polo ground. There is a well maintained Basket Ball court and the same cricket ground is used for playing football as the ground also has goal posts. In one corner of the ground there is a historic tree on which the Miltary School has constructed a beautiful tree house.