Greatness has nothing to do with where you are and what resources are available to you. People who achieve great things in life need just one thing – passion. That passion has a power to propel you through all uncertainties and make you a superhero. Time and again this basic fact of life has been proved. Yet we find students losing the battle of life as early as after a failure in IIT JEE. We hope the story of Danish Chopra can mirror the real picture of the requisite of success.
I happened to accidentally stumble upon http://hst.co.in/ . I found few products listed in the site.
1. SiiCS – To help visually impaired and color blind people to quickly recognize real world objects and know their description
2. Netra Rathh – To help people with motor disability on legs and arms. They can control their wheelchair through their eyes.
3. EVGS with Hindi Text to speech system– Deaf and blind people having EVGS can interact with each other through EVGS device as well as with other people through EVGS.
4. Handwriter – To help physically and mentally challenged people. With handwriter, users can type in computer in their own handwriting/convert a document in their handwriting and then take its printout saving their effort and time.
5. Smart Rural Education project – A set of 7 softwares and 3 hardware tools to digitalize the rural education in India and help improve the quality and standard of education to meet with the urban schools in India.
6. INR 500 minicomputer console – An INR 500 minicomputer for poor and underprivielged students to help them learn basics of computers such as typing, saving and retrieving data.
I was eager to know which is this company that makes such innovative products. M/S Hindustan Software Technologies (HST) founded in March 2008 as a non profit software product firm to develop innovative technologies for the disabled and underprivileged, technologies that make their lives more easy and productive. Impressive.
All products have been developed by Danish Chopra. So, I started by search for scientist Danish. When I finally found him, I was stunned!
Danish is pursuing his graduate studies in Computer Science department at University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign. He got his undergraduate degree in Computer Science and engineering in 2010 from DAV Institute of Engineering and Technology, Jalandhar. It’s affiliated to Punjab Technical University.
“I developed all these products in my hostel room during my engineering days” . I was curious to know why he developed the products and started HST.
“Computer Science is a beautiful and gifted field with endless innovations and possibilities and with the power to change our world. Application of this field in making the life of physically challenged people more easy and productive makes it even more powerful. What started as a class project (handwriter) during my undergraduate days to ultimately helping a bunch of people having difficulty in writing, developing software for physically challenged became a passion for me. I started exploring new research areas and developing new projects that could possibly have an impact on life of these people and started putting these projects at one place on the web. And one fine day, it took the shape of HST.”
Currently, much of the work under HST is free, open source and research oriented and published in Journals and conferences. He has several technical papers
to his credit. He wishes to commercialize some of his products after he completes his studies.
So, I had found a dorm-room innovator of India.
Congrats Danish! We wish you all the best for the future. I am sure you will become a role model for many.